Saturday, August 2, 2014

Rosemary Pear Muffins

 These are my favorite muffins to make. I became obsessed with rosemary from the chocolate hazelnut rosemary cookies I used to eat from my days working at Bakeri, the best bakery in Brooklyn. I liked these cookies so much that I began experimenting with rosemary in baking at home and I invented these delights. While pears are more suited to the fall and winter since thats their season, today is rainy and chilly here so it's got me in the mood. Apples can be substituted for the pears but there is something about sweet pear with aromatic rosemary that makes a really delicious combination. I use Bosc pears but any kind works great. I love using herbs with fruit. The contrast of flavors makes this muffin both savory and sweet. They are delicious served with a hearty jam as well as a simple goat cheese spread.   


Ande's Rosemary Pear Muffins 
3 ripe pears pealed/ sliced into bite size cubes tossed lightly in flour
9 oz all purpose flour 
1 tablespoon baking powder 
3 ounces sugar 
pinch of salt 
8 oz of milk
4 oz melted unsalted butter 
 2 eggs 
1 tsp vanilla extract 
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary roughly chopped 
sugar in the raw or white sugar for sprinkling on top

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Combine all the dry ingredients. In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment mix all the liquid ingredients. Pour the dry into the wet all at once. Add the pears and 1/2 of the rosemary. mix until just blended. Scoop into prepared muffin pans- paper lined and sprayed with pam. mix Sprinkle tops with sugar and remaining rosemary. Bake until well risen, set and golden. 



No comments:

Post a Comment